Sunday, January 18, 2009

17.01.09

Isn't it funny how people sort of drift in and out of our lives in various capacities over time.

Tonight we had a farewell bash for a couple who are leaving for the south island. They are an amazing couple who have touched many lives during their time in Auckland, especially mine. I have served on mission teams with them and have seen their kids grow into beautiful little girls, and they have seen me grow through my teenage years.

I can say with confidence that I would not be the same person today if it hadn't been for them. I know they aren't fading in to oblivion, never to be seen again but it certainly feels like it.

I'm going to miss their wise words and funny antics so much. Probably the thing I will miss most is seeing their family develop and the different stages the girls go through. Kids change so much so rapidly and seeing them only a few times a year means I'll skip out on the in between stages.

The girls and I mucking about being posers at beach mission:


It truly is a bittersweet goodbye because, although I will miss them so much, they have so much to gain from moving. I know that God has called them to move down there and that it is in his mighty plan for them to leave us. They have such potential to do great things through him and I can't wait to hear of all of the amazing experiences they are having.

It's with tears in my eyes that I type this and the near essay I wrote for them, complete with introduction and conclusion, was splattered in teardrops. I realise that I go all mushy and pathetic at times like these but I know I wasn't the only one. They have been a positive influence in so many lives over the past eight years and the number of damp eyes in the room was proof.

It's a huge inspiration to me to see the amount of people who feel the same as I do about them. I want to live a life in which I have the same level of influence on people around me. Not in a crazy, power-hungry way, but I just want to help people and touch their lives. Put a bit of positivity back into the world. You know what I mean.

3 comments:

  1. yeah, it's always sad to see people move on. i know exactly what you're talking about, you're happy for them because they get to move forward with their lives but you don't want them to go because you want them to still be in your life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this project is the start of that, and it's awesome that you can be so emotional

    ReplyDelete