Wednesday, November 3, 2010

03.11.10

It is easy to act like everything is going well.

Someone will ask, "How are you?" and I find myself answering, "I'm good thanks" without a second thought.

I have said it so many times over the past few days, even when it isn't true and even to close friends. On one occasion I even said, "I'm really good!" in a very enthusiastic manner.

I'm going to make more effort to be slightly more honest in my reply to that question. Mix it up a little.

Sometimes it could get a tad awkward, especially if you're talking to someone who you don't know so well. You reply, "Not so great really" and in order to make it seem like they actually did care about your answer when they asked the question, they have to inquire as to why you feel that way. Then you either tell them the whole story, bearing your heart in a way which is inappropriate to your current relationship with said aquaintance, or you blow them off with an, "I don't really want to talk about it" response which is equally as awkward.

Easier just to say, "Good thanks".

2 comments:

  1. Yeah its hard to know when its appropriate to say what.
    At work when receptionists are like "How's it going?" sometimes I'm just like "I'm actually really tireddddddd." If I'm tired, anyway.

    But I appreciate knowing how someone is, even if they don't want to talk about it. At least I can pray or something.
    But then there's the potential to overshare. Which is uncomfortable. Just gotta gauge whats appropes at the time!

    Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I think a neutral way of saying your day is terrible is saying "yeah not too bad"... kinda vague but not the standard "good thanks"!

    ReplyDelete