Wednesday, October 17, 2012

08.10.12

It's my brother's birthday today. I have written him a speech:

"I was one and a half when Daniel came into the world. As soon as I saw him two realizations came to me.

Firstly, I would have to work at retaining the affection and attention of mum and dad. He was quite a cute baby and all if a sudden I had to fight for the spot of favourite. There is evidence of this in our home videos. I tried so hard to be the star and photo bombed a lot of his screen time.

The second realization was that I had gained a blind follower, an innocent victim to manipulate into playing with me, letting me dress him up (never nailpolish!), and getting me things I couldn't reach. He did very well under my instruction, even stealing the spatula, mums discipline device from the kitchen one day and hiding it under the bed.
He also was quite handy as a scapegoat. I think quite a few of my tellings off went to him. He would bawl and mum would give him a big hug and tell him she loved him. I used to hate that so much. I wanted justice... for him.


I did actually realize a third thing later on. I may have upstaged Dan in the home videos, but he really did upstage me in life. He is so smart, helping me with homework when I was two years above him at school, he lived my 7th form dream of being a student rep and a lead in the musical, and I don't know a single person who doesn't like him. Somehow Dan charms his way into making us all pick him up, buy him food, lend him assignments... He's got us all around his little finger.

It's not all take and no give though. He is one of the kindest, most caring people I know. Most brothers wouldn't bring their sister a glass of water after she hollers up the stairs at him, or dance like fool with her around the kitchen, or practice her worship set with her for ages even if he's not playing it that Sunday.

Dan and I have always been good friends. Over the years there has only been on habit of his that has really got on my nerves. I've only come to appreciate his constant, confident, and extremely loud singing recently. I think mainly because his taste in music has improved a bit from Nickelback.

Each week there was a new theme song which we heard screamed down the hall or up the stairs or over the top of the radio in the car. There were songs for the shower (the neighbours love him for that),songs for dancing, songs for when he got home, songs for sound checks, and songs for driving. He is always singing.

Everyone knows it, so we are going to watch this video mashup of all his favourites, but first, Dan I am so proud that you're mu brother. You are becoming a young man and it's so exciting to see you take more responsibility, and grow in integrity and all those things a man should be. 

Happy birthday. Love you."




No comments:

Post a Comment