Friday, October 11, 2013

11.10.13

Today has probably been my favourite day in Korea so far. It was my School Festival which means they organised some fun activities with a lot of chilling in between. 

We met at the cinemas this morning and watched 소원 which was about a little girl who got kidnapped. It was so sad and I found myself in tears even though I couldn't understand the dialogue. Afterwards in the bathroom, all the girls were trying to cover up their blotchy faces and puffy red eyes. We were united by emotions. 

Back at school the students had a treasure hunt and I kept having to tell them that there were no tokens in my room. A couple of girls came in and told me they found one. When I started to tell them they couldn't have, they explained that they were talking about me! What cuties!

After that a few boys used my classroom to practice. After hearing them about one hundred times I decided to help them with their pronunciation of "funky" which was coming out a little offensive. In the end he opted for edgy though. If you can get away with it, why not!?

A couple more girls came to play Jenga and laugh at the boys with me. After they left another girl came in for a chat. I'm so glad she did. 

She lived in America last year but still isn't very confident about her skills so she's either sleeping or talking in class. It was so cool to talk to her. We chatted for almost two hours about all sorts of things and by the end I had forgotten she was a student. I almost told her my plans for next year but I stopped myself in time. It got a bit tricky when she started asking about it. 

With a sore throat and a happy heart I made my way over to the concert. I was blown away by the talented kids. They could sing and dance so well. I am so glad I stayed for it. 

My favourite part was congratulating them as they came off the stage. Every time their faces absolutely lit up. They loved the recognition. 

At the end of the night there was a guest dance troupe from a boys high school and the girls all got so excited. So did the teacher next to me. She screamed and keeled over when one boy did a backflip and then yelped when he took his shirt off. I steadied her while I was secretly swooning too. With wide eyes she told me they were second graders. Awkward. 

It was such a good day of bonding with students and now I can tell them how proud I am and show them the photos I took. Hopefully they will be chuffed.






No comments:

Post a Comment