Sunday, May 18, 2014

18.05.14

JAZZFEST DAY 2

What a day! I was so excited to get there again after the magic of last night. Today I made my own way there after church because Keke was going to be late. I rode the subway next to another foreign girl who was also going. We got talking and ended up hanging out until Keke got there. I loving spontaneous friend making!

My new friend and I discovered a wonderfully talented Korean jazz singer, 선우정아. She was pretty amazing and did all kinds of doobeedoos. It was incredibly hot, and the amount of sweat building on my skin sent me scrolling through memories of Parachute in my brain. Not for long, though, because the bad clapping brought me back to reality. When will Koreans learn about the backbeat!?

After that we checked out the sultry tones of Eric Benet and got our hips moving a bit. Apparently he was a big deal before I was old enough to care about R&B. So many people were singing along and screaming whenever he announced a song. They loved it.

Then Keke joined and we grooved a bit at mainstage to some super loungey jazz played by a band which has 17 albums! They were really good but there were a couple of slightly intoxicated Korean guys dancing too close. So when the lead singer announced for all the men to grab the hands of ladies near them and dance, even if they don't know them, we freaked out a bit. We danced together and kept saying, "Never let go!"

After that I found a new favourite indie band, 불나방스타쏘세지크럽 (Bulnabang Star Sausage Club). Their music matches the name. I really wanted to get up and dance, but I just shoulder grooved in my seat like everyone else.

Keke was at Erlend Øye so I went to join her and I was delighted. He was such a cutie. It turns out he's super awesome and quite like music I would listen to at home. I didn't realize that I actually do because he's the lead singer of Kings of Convenience. Who woulda thunk it!? Anyway he made a heart shape with his arms and the crowd went crazy. He couldn't do any wrong. 

Sorry, it's so long and I haven't even arrived at PAOLO NUTINI! I forgot how much I loved him until he started and I wanted to cry. I swear, at one point he looked straight at me. We locked eyes and it was intensely beautiful. Just like his voice. He didn't play all the old favourites, but he did play Jenny Don't Be Hasty with a chorus of New Shoes and then he encored Last Request. I was very, very happy.

We ran straight from Paolo to Jamie who absolutely wowed us all with his incredible talent. He was singing, beatboxing, drumming on the piano, and playing it like no one else. I think he's a genius. The crowd was huge and he had us all under a spell. He got us to do a three part harmony as he sang over top. What a way to end a show!

The subway was just as crowded tonight and we saw this couple for the fourth time! The first time was in Erlend. They were curious because they didn't act like a usual Korean couple. He kept trying to speak English to her (obviously showing off for us), but his gf didn't even call him out. They also didn't have to be constantly connected somehow like every other Korean couple. My theory is that it was a first date. Keke didn't seem so sure. In any case, we didn't mind bumping into them so much because he was verrrrrryy attractive.

Tan or dirt?

No comments:

Post a Comment