Monday, September 22, 2014

21.09.14

TL;DR - Just listen to the one called A Radical Economee

I'm still very disillusioned about the outcome of the elections today. Probably more than last night even. I mean, I realised they'd get the majority, but I didn't think it would be such a landslide.

In a weird coincidence that usually happens when God wants to teach me something profound, the whole message at church today was about God's radical socio-economic policies in the Old Testament with the Year of Jubilee. Every three years the whole community pooled together money so the poor could take what they needed, every seventh year all debts were cancelled which meant slaves were let go with severance pay too, and then in the 50th year, the Year of Jubilee, all the families could return to their original land and start over with what God gave them.

Then Jesus came along and declared he WAS that Jubilee. Those things are so close to God's heart that he said that was his whole mission, quoting Isaiah:

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
   to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”     - Luke 4:18-19

That 'year of the Lord's favour' is the Year of Jubilee, when people are put on an even playing field once again. It's so close to his heart and it should be so close to our hearts. 

Back in the Old Testament, they had a theocracy and the powers couldn't even get it right. They never even got to that 50th year because they never stayed on track with God long enough. So I realised that I can't expect the current NZ government to have these values. It would be wonderful, and I definitely think it's their responsibility first and foremost to help every Kiwi to have food, shelter, water, education, and the best shot at life. I also don't believe that's what the current government puts first. But I can't just leave it all up to them to take care of these people who need help.

It's clearly part of our duty as Christians. Zaccheus' first response was to give away half of what he had to the poor. Clearly he understood that the heart of God. And again in Acts 2, the believers didn't consider anything they had as their own. They gave to each other as they had need. Some even sold property so they could give more away.

It was certainly a challenge to me. Where the government fails us, the church needs to step in. I need to have the mindset that everything I own is merely a loan from God. i get far too possessive of the contents of my bank account. Really, I'm only treasurer.

I also had more fun with Dan:

Taking a GoPro selfie



Kissing Dan W

Dan W kissing us.

No comments:

Post a Comment