Friday, October 10, 2014

09.10.14

Today on the way to the airport I was flicking through Ki Hong Lee's Instagram feed. I saw Maze Runner last weekend and thought he looked a little familiar. A quick Wikipedia skim revealed he had lived in NZ for a couple of years so I thought that maybe we had gone to the same school. There wasn't much else I could discover so I left it at that.

Until boredom pushed me towards his Instagram account, that is. Scrolling through, I had to double take as I saw a photo of myself, my brother, Ki Hong, and his sister at my brother's 4th birthday party. A triumphant grin plastered itself on my silly face and that tangible excitement that threatens to overcome a person welled up within me.

I KNEW I recognised him! I'd be lying if I said the fact that I used to jump on bouncy castles and run around my house with a movie star didn't contribute considerably to my excitement.

I'd love to see what his family and his sister are up to too. Mum lost contact with them years ago, so if you've got any grand ideas, let me know. Tweeting doesn't work.

Aaaaanyway, that was on the way to the airport to fly off to Hong Kong to visit Emily at Crossroads Foundation, and organization that does many things, including taking stuff off people who don't need it anymore and giving it to those who really need it.

First impressions:
- HK is much more chaotic than Korea and less shiny.
- Diversity is a real thing! So many foreigners.
- It smells funny.
- It's hot and I love it. Be free legs, and sweat your little hearts out.

I sat down with a real family for dinner for the first time in ages. They also work at Crossroads and they've got their two girls with them. Oh the banter we had. I really appreciated being able to communicate with these kids and figure out what goes on in their minds. Ahhh we laughed so much. I found someone who has sass to match my own.
First purchase. Drank it on a rackety bus ride. Every time he went over 80, the bus beeped. A man slept through it, I have no idea how.

Em cutting up some fruits for dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment