Saturday, October 11, 2014

10.10.14

Today was my solo-adventure time around Hong Kong. I took in all the sights in Kowloon, especially in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST). My first impression of the place, as I surfaced from the subway, was a man leaping at me with a spiel about cheap knock-off handbags. Out of fright mainly, I clutched my bag tight, avoided eye-contact and boosted in the opposite direction.

There was so much to look at. Giant big brand stores like Gucci and Burberry lined the main road. The side roads were mazes of neon signs and lightboxes with tangled wiring and peeling paint. I got my Jenny's Cookies, thanks to Claire's tip, and right next door was the Chungking Mansions. I've wanted to visit ever since studying Chungking Express for my Hong Kong Cinema paper.

It was super seedy, and I was a little apprehensive so I wandered about the first floor amidst money exchanges, phone stores, and wafts of Indian food, declining to go up the shoddy stores to the next level.

I walked along the waterfront and revisited my HK Cinema knowledge on the Avenue Of Stars before I went in search of an egg tart. It was a very successful expedition! On the way back to the subway in Mongkok I stumbled upon the protests. The atmosphere was incredibly powerful. It really felt like something real was happening. People were just chilling in the cordoned off streets. They'd brought mats and one old guy even had a whole bed and a newspaper.

I was witnessing history. It made me so grateful to have a voice in my own country. I may not have liked the outcome of the last election, but at least the people made a decision.

I made my way back to the waterfront to have a little think and while away the time until Emily came for the light show. More impressive than the actual laser display was the bright orange sunset between the two shores. It was the perfect pensive hour to reflect and make a new Korean friend, of course.
















No comments:

Post a Comment