Friday, September 17, 2010

16.09.10

When you've seen so many remarkable things in such a short space of time, a day which doesn't involve great chasms, circuses, lights or towers can seem a little average.

However, today I flew to San Fransisco. That in itself is a remarkable thing. The possibility of flight and all.

The thing that has struck me about SF so far is the number of homeless people. We walked past a whole lot of very poor people in line for the homeless shelter as we made our way to the hotel. It was so sad. They are on every street corner and lying in Union Square. I've seen people give them money and food.

I am so grateful for our welfare system in NZ. It really is up to the goodwill of the general public to keep the homeless fed and sheltered here.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, far out. I thought it was supposed to be like an awesome nice place where peeps wear flowers in their hair?

    Totally get what you mean about un-extreme days seeming average!

    ReplyDelete