Wednesday, February 19, 2014

19.02.14

As I sat in St. Kevin's Arcade on K'rd, social hub of the most eccentric and artsy folk in Auckland, I was overwhelmed by diversity once again.

Previously, in Sydney airport it was much less comfortable, but today I absolutely welcomed it. I gazed about at the weird and wonderful outfits and hairstyles and imagined all the places these people had been.

Creating backstories for strangers is one of my favourite things. I like to take hints from the way they hold themselves, dress, and speak and imagine where in life they are.

I didn't even realize how much I had missed it until this morning in that cafe. In Korea you can look at one person and see some great hair but then two tables down there's another guy with the same haircut. Presentation isn't self-expression in collectivist culture, it's the opposite. Standing out is discouraged. It's better to follow the trend.

It's impossible to dream up crazy stories for people in cafes in Korea so it made it all the more exciting to observe these strange folk with their tie-dyed pants and messy-on-purpose hair.

I had dinner and a lovely walk with Amy and Logan tonight.


Little Bird Unbakery was deeeelish

No comments:

Post a Comment