Thursday, February 27, 2014

27.03.14

It was pretty weird being back at the same orientation venue a year later. I felt so different from how I was last time. Walking around the hallways I could sense the anxiety and excitement of the newbies. I was also feeling the same emotions, but for different reasons.

They have no idea what life in Korea would be like. They have a million questions about phone plans, apartments, holidays, and after-school classes. I pretty much know what to expect in those areas so my anxiety was coming from the realization that these people had already been together for 8 days. That's 8 days of clique-forming and I was walking into the midst of it.

I hate being the new person. I realized to what extent today.

After our meeting with our Seoul supervisors I lingered for a couple of minutes before I felt so uncomfortable I could stand it no longer. I escaped out the door, walked a few meters and stopped myself.

I was being silly. This was my chance to make friends in Seoul. When else would I get an opportunity like this? These people want to make new friends too? Couldn't I remember that much from last year?

After the pep-talk I went back into the room armed with my question, "What time is dinner?"

I awkwardly asked this one girl after standing around for far too long. She and I struck up a conversation when I mentioned I'd taught in Daegu. Apparently she had too! We have mutual friends from Dongshin and we just clicked. I am so happy I forced myself to go be friendly. Keke is going to be a great new friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment