Tuesday, February 3, 2009

03.02.09

In some ways I want to live a conventional life. It's safer that way. You grow up, get a job, get married, have babies and live happily ever after, all wrapped up in a blanket of security.

However, I have a problem with this. Well, I have a few.

What happens when life doesn't go as planned? The foundations crumble and the relationships you have built on a fake premise fall, along with the life you have constructed for yourself.
Or it could just grow stale and deteriorate over time. The picture of perfection you have painted for yourself fades and cracks.

Those possibilities are so dreadfully glum and cynical but they do happen, believe it or not.

The reason I don't want to be conventional is much more positive.

I want to have real relationships with people with real feelings and real actions. I want to be genuine. And I think that in doing that, life will become exciting and unconventional. It's easier to put up a wall and keep your thoughts and true feelings to yourself because they are too extravagant or could make you feel awkward or ashamed if you opened them up to someone else. In doing so you create a facade, a fake version of yourself to hide behind.

Imagine if we all were just honest with each other and weren't afraid of letting people know where they stand.

Wouldn't it be nice.





Sorry for spouting this rubbish. I just saw Revolutionary Road and it got me thinking.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely know what you mean. I've constantly thought about running away for like 6 months or so and getting away from all of the "normality" and monotony. Yet it wouldn't do much I'm sure. I'd probably want to do it again once I left.

    Into The Wild inspired that thinking in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't the guy in "into the wild" die?

    ReplyDelete