Sunday, April 19, 2009

18.04.09

I apologise for making this post about a movie too but it's a good'un.

I Am Sam

Flippin heck Sean Penn can act. I really loved it.

I worked in a special needs school last year and my favourite class were a group of boys with autism, like Sam.

I had never really thought about what happens when they turn 21 and they are no longer allowed at school and they have to fend for themselves. It's crazy. I can't imagine any of them being able to be a father and yet, they could be where Sam was and capable of it.

It's amazing how the human brain works and the developments the class made each time I got to work there. I could see an improvement in the way they interacted and how they got on with each other each visit.

It was so awesome this one time when one of the boys looked at me and smiled. Just that instant of recognition and communication was so special. He was non-verbal and he didn't look into your eyes when you spoke so it made it such a great moment when he did.

Times like that make all the patience and hard work worth it.

1 comment: