Sunday, April 28, 2013

28.04.13

The most awkward occurrence of my life happened today. A Korean guy I'd met previous weeks at church came up to me and said "Hello, you are from New Zealand?"

After I replied, he started leaning in as if to kiss me. I was very confused so I simultaneously offered my cheek as well as went for the hug. It just got worse after that as he tried again. I said a very firm, "no!" and waved my arms a bit.

Then he pointed to his nose and it took me a few seconds to click. He wanted a hongi!

I explained very clearly that it was JUST forehead and nose that touch before we had our Maori moment.

Korea just keeps surprising me!

Today I hung out with a real life Korean and she was so great. Her name is Chaejin and she's Bryan's cousin. We met at 5 and I didn't get home until 9! That's some serious hanging.

She saw on Facebook that it was my birthday so she bought me cakes from the best cake shop before we went to her favourite place to eat. It was Korean/Italian and so delicious. We stuffed ourselves and then we had 빙수 which is a shaved ice dessert. It was amazing.

It wasn't ever awkward and we talked forever! I hope we can keeping hanging out. Real Korean friends, here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment