Friday, May 2, 2014

02.05.14

Why do I always cut it so fine when I've got to get on a train!? It's quite ridiculous. I was ready in time and everything, but still it was down to the last minutes. I was still in line for the tickets three minutes before my train was set to leave. But I made it!

It was actually a day of transportation success. 

I met Leslie on the platform in Busan and already there was holiday in the air. I think it had to do with the sea-breeze and sunglasses on our faces. We managed to catch the subway in the right direction, buy bus tickets, eat lunch, get on the bus, arrive on Geoje, have coffee, catch a taxi to the ferry terminal, book an awesome hotel room, and make the ferry across to Oedo island all before 3:30pm!

It felt amazing to be bobbing across the water, jumping over swells in our little boat. As soon as we set off I recalled family holidays and fishing trips. I have missed the open sea.

We arrived on the island and set off to take in all the beauty. It's a very man-made beauty. A couple own the island and have imported all kinds of plants and sculptures to cover it in. It reminded me of Disneyland with the manicured hedges and nutcracker soundtrack blasted over speakers disguised in the gardens. I'm pretty sure they were also playing bird sounds. I heard a Tui call.

Nonetheless, it was pretty spectacular, especially the views of the vast ocean from atop the cliffs. I loved the way the sea disappeared into the sky. Fog blanketed the horizon so that it was invisible. It looked like the world just disintegrated beyond that point.

I felt like I was in The Truman Show, except instead of hitting a wall, I would fall off or implode or something.

"Katie, I'm hungry. Stop taking photos!" - Leslie in Busan
Ferry fun.


A sneaky speaker













Dinnerdinnerdinner. All you can eat barbecue. We were stuffed.

After dinner we went on the roof of our hotel and looked out over the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment