Sunday, August 3, 2014

02.08.14

Today I caught both the sunrise and the sunset. I think it may have been the first time ever!

The day started the best way it possibly could have. I dragged Dani out of bed at 4:30 and we climbed to the top of the mountain in the middle of the town. It was so high up, but the sunrise made the 200 steps worth it. Light-headed and sweat-drenched, we watched the sky paint itself pink as the town stayed sleeping below.

We walked down and parted because she wanted to join the town in its slumber and I had decided to seize the day. I took in the sights and smells of the morning market, read my book, drank my last amazing coffee, ate my last French breakfast, then joined Dani again for our waterfall adventure.

This waterfall was an amazing turquoise blue. The fish nibbled at our feet if we stayed in the same place too long so we climbed up moss-covered terraces and danced in the pools. I lay in the mini waterfalls and lounged on the rocks before Dani reminded me of leeches and I got a bit scared. Gross creatures! (It's ok, I'm leech-free!)

All of a sudden it was time for me to say goodbye. Begrudgingly. I know I'll see Dani again, but it was sad because I have no idea when or where.

Laos didn't want to let me go though. I showed my e-ticket to the lady at the airport and she told me there was no such flight. It took a moment, but once the information sank in, I panicked a little. Then I told myself to suck it up and just pay for a new flight. Thank the Lord that I could get one tonight so I could be back in time for school on Monday. It was expensive (only business class left), but it was ok. I even got the chance to go back into Vientiane and grab a last supper before my transfer.

I'm definitely a lot poorer now, but watching the sunset as the plane landed in Vientiane was a little slice of magic to remind me that it's ok. There's so much beauty in the world. There are joyful people. People full of music and laughter. I leave with a full heart.









The squirmed.










The last supper.
The weird and wonderful business class lounge at Vientiane Airport.



No comments:

Post a Comment