Monday, May 6, 2013

06.05.13

Today was my open class after lunch. I was getting more and more nervous as the day wore on. I kept finding out more people would be attending.

First it was just the guy from the Office of Education, plus some other native English teachers, but then it was also the principal and vice principal. Then the VP went and invited all the English teachers to attend. And then there was a film camera and photographer added!

It was all a bit much.

At lunch a couple of teachers said to me, "Sorry I cant make it, I have class in 5th period, but good luck!" This was encouraging both because of their support, and because there would be less pairs of critical eyes.

I sat with the three teachers I am closest to over lunchtime and they really helped me by saying so many nice things. They complimented my teaching, told me I had nothing to worry about, and even said that I had a God-given gift for reading people which helps in the classroom. Their words really made me feel better and I calmed down.

Once the lesson had begun, it was smooth sailing. I tried to ignore all the teachers and just help the students engage. They did great and in the debrief after, the man from the education office only had good things to say.

I'm so pleased it's over and that it ended up being ok.

Now I can put the pressure on the students for their speaking tests later in the week! Kidding. I'm not that mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment