Friday, May 17, 2013

16.05.13

More interviews today and the students had Rebekah and I run through so many emotions! I was "awwh-ing", uncontrollably laughing, and sitting there flabbergasted as the boys answered my questions.

One said he had a crush on a girl and she is his ideal type. He wouldn't divulge her name, but he did tell me what class she's in. He described her so beautifully and grinned the whole time. I hope she likes him too!

Another boy had quite the personality! He talked for so long about whatever he could think of. When he plonked himself down he started rifling through the box of folded question numbers, opening them all and muttering "Number one" over and over. It took me a while to recover from my shock and amusement that he was so obviously cheating and looking for a question he prepared for. He got his wish though and he drew a 1.

He told me how he wants to go to "Australia" because that's where famous composers like Mozart are from. It was also where The Sound of Music was filmed. Then he reached for his phone and asked if there was time for him to sing along to 'Doe a Deer' for me. Luckily my co-teacher was quicker than I and said no. About halfway through I figured he meant Austria. It was fun thinking about Australia as the capital of classical music for a while.

He reached back into the box of numbers and pulling out one he disliked, he put it back and got a better one. I didn't even try stop him this time because I was laughing too hard.

Another boy absolutely floored me when he took a seat. He is one of these massive Korean boys and he just sits there in class like a gentle giant, never making eye-contact or participating at all. I was expecting a very one-sided conversation because he hadn't said a peep all semester.

I asked the first question and in the faintest mumble I have ever heard, I detected perfect English. I took it as a challenge to draw him out of his shell and I did a bit. His volume got a fraction louder and I even got him to chuckle. It feels really cool to discover hidden talents like this.

The only reason I deducted from pronunciation was because I couldn't hear if he was saying each word correctly. I hope I can get him to speak in class by the end of the year.

Challenge accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment