Monday, March 23, 2020

23.03.20

Today the Prime Minister declared a nationwide lockdown. 

The past days and weeks have been filled with so much uncertainty that I felt some of the internal panic that I’ve been trying to stifle subside. At least I know where I’ll be in the next four weeks. At home.

Home, where I can choose whether or not to engage with the constant chatter about this virus and the government’s efforts. They’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t. 

I think Jacinda Ardern has done a sterling job so far. What a year for her! Mass shootings, volcanic eruptions, measles outbreak, and now a pandemic. No wonder she looks a bit knackered. 

I think we’re all a bit knackered to be honest. 

But this isn’t supposed to be a winge. It’s supposed to be a record of this period of time and a way to appreciate the simple, beautiful things in life that slip by unnoticed in the rush of life. With the slowing pace of life, I’m hoping there will be more opportunity to notice the remarkable in each day. 

Like the sound of the wind racing through the trees outside. I don’t even need to see it or feel it to understand the sheer force as it whips up the valley. I am imagining the trees outside the window behind me are fighting against the power of the wind, bending under the pressure. 

There is a lot of strength in a leaf to cling on to its branch under such duress. Or perhaps it’s the fact that there are so many leaves in the battle so they share the load. 

Whatever the case, I’m sure there’s a message in there about sticking together and fighting this thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment