Saturday, June 7, 2014

06.06.14

I think I'm definitely learning how to be more laid back. It comes in handy when travelling in a foreign country with millions of people and not much space.

This morning I woke up bright and early and met Keke, Eric, and Daniel at the bus station to set off on our journey for Sokcho, a little coastal town about 2 hours away by bus. The earliest tickets we could purchase were for two and a half hours later so we whiled the time in Paris Baguette, sipping coffee, whisper-singing Happy Birthday to Dan, and chatting away. It was quite lovely.

Before long we were off! The two hours had passed before we were even quarter of the way there, however, and we knew we had more of the same to come. Normally, this probably would have been frustrating for me because in the past I would have had a checklist of things to achieve for the day and it would have ruined my itinerary. Not today!

Aside from needing to pee for a couple hours I had a wonderful time playing I Spy, Celebrity Heads, and rhythm games. Pretty soon six hours were up and we had arrived.

We went from the bus stop to Abai Village, a little township of North Korean defectors from the war. It was such an interesting place, certainly targeted at tourists, but full of colourful people and houses. We had special Abain Ojinguh Sundae, which is stuffed squid cooked by an ahjumma on a hot plate. Apparently it was delicious (I had packed some pork and veggies for myself).

On the way back we stopped at an art installation under the bridge, and then caught the gaetbae (rope-drawn boat) back to the shore. Our bus ended up taking millions of minutes to arrive, but we played Korean slapping games to occupy ourselves.

Today involved a lot of waiting, but all the games made it super fun.








No comments:

Post a Comment