Tuesday, January 27, 2015

26.01.15

Would you ever get plastic surgery?

That question is unavoidable in this country. Any time I step onto a subway I'm bombarded with before and after pictures which promise impossible things. My bus to church takes me through the center of 'medical tourism', codename for facelifts, implants, jaw chiseling at heightened prices for Chinese visitors.

Today in the office the conversation turned to plastic surgery. There wasn't an ounce of negativity towards the tasteful new face of one of Jungjin's friends. The ladies were discussing what they'd like to get done themselves.

It made me really sad that they couldn't see their own unique beauty. I didn't know what to say because I know uniformity is a big part of Korean culture, but it really makes me sad. Coming from a culture that really celebrates diversity, I don't understand the need to have the aesthetic of a plastic doll. Sure, it's pretty, but it's not real.

No comments:

Post a Comment