Tuesday, January 20, 2009

20.01.09

Do you know what struck me as I watched Blood Diamond tonight? It wasn't just Leo's appalling Saffa accent. It was that so many lives are taken everyday in wars and conflict caused by the Western world's consumerism. And it's not as if we don't know that our security means bloodshed in another part of the globe. We just don't care.

Some people obviously do. And they go out and actually do something about it. But most might get sad from time to time when they see a documentary or watch a child sponsorship ad, however, they think that's all they ought do. Just get sad and then change the channel.

Now, I am not removing myself from all the blame. I'm preaching to myself here.

I just think that somehow I'm meant to be doing more than sponsoring a child. That's a noble thing to do, I know, but it just doesn't feel like enough.

Maybe I need to become a vigilante and fight all the baddies so that there can be peace. All I need is a mask.

Disclaimer: I realise that all feelings and views expressed above are part of a reaction to the film which has been expertly crafted by the producers of it through very clever film techniques. But that's still how I feel. So there.

2 comments:

  1. DANNY ARCHER.
    I hate war... I watched Pearl Harbor the other day and it was so sad. Same with Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh you don't know how badly I've wanted to become a vigilante and help those in need, while being disguised. It's been a dream of mine for a while now.

    ReplyDelete